صور الصفحة
النشر الإلكتروني

ticed for his bravery in capturing a fort. In the 10th year (28th Oct. 1636 -17th Oct. 1637), he was appointed Názim of Burhanpúr and raised to be a Chahár Hazári. In the 11th year (18th Oct. 1637—7th Oct. 1638), he was made Faujdár of Sarkár Bijágarh in addition to Burhánpúr. In the 18th year (2nd Aug. 1644-22nd July 1645), he was put in charge of the Súbahs of Talingána. In the 22nd year (20th June 1618-9th June 1619) he died in that country at Nánder.* He was buried at Mau, a town which he had founded near Shamshábád.†

The governors of the Dakhin never undertook any important enterprise without consulting him. He had a large number of well-armed fighting men in his service, who were very faithful to him and looked on him as their spiritual guide. Mabábat Khán once wrote to the Emperor that Rashíd Khán, having such a powerful following, ought to be recalled from the Dakhin. He and Khán Zamán were friends and of one mind; they ought not, therefore, to be left on the frontier, for if they rebelled it would be difficult to reduce them.

Rashid Khán so governed his Subah of Burhanpur that high-way robbery and thefts ceased, the bad characters thinking themselves lucky to escape with their lives. The 'Idgah of Burhánpúr, till then very small, was enlarged by him. He was learned in history, secretly bigotted in religion; he wrote much poetry which has been approved by good judges. His expenditure on his harem was larger than that of any Amír of his time. In most of his habits and in his way of wielding his sword he followed the customs of Irán.

Two sons of Rashid Khán are named in history, (1) Asadullah, (2) Ilhámullah (Rashid Khán). Asadullah, the eldest son, on the death of his father in Sháhjáhan's 22nd year (20th June 1648-9th June 1649), was made a Hazári. In the 24th year (29th May 1651-18th May 1652), he was appointed Thánadár of Chándaur in the Dakhin Súbah, and in the 27th year (25th April 1653-14th April 1654), faujdár of Dabdauri (?) in Sarkár Saukhar (?). In the 28th year (15th April 1654-1th April 1655), he became Faujdár of Ilichpur with a mansab of 1500; in this year he


Ilhámullah, the second son, on the death of his father in Sháhjáhan's 22nd year, had also been raised in rank. On the death of Asadullah in the 28th year (15th April 1654—4th April 1655), he was appointed Thanadár of Chándaur in succession to his brother. In the 30th year (24th March 1656—13th March 1657), on the death of his uncle Hádidád Khán,

* A town on the north or left bank of the Godáveri, 145 miles N. of Haidarábád. Thornton, 682.

+ In the "Ma'asir-ul-Umrá" Shamsábád is quite distinct, and so is Mau, but I cannot read the word which follows.

Ilhámullah was selected as having the best claims to succeed him and keep his force together. He was made a commander of 1500 horse. When Aurangzeb left the Dakhin for Hindústán, Ilhámullah accompanied him. After the successful campaign against Jaswant Singh was over (April 1658—Elphinstone 521), he was made a Sih Hazári, three thousand horse, and at the same time his father's title of Rashíd Khán was conferred upon him. After the first campaign against Dárá Shikoh, (June 1658), he received a grant of twenty thousand rupees. When Sultán Shujá' had been defeated in January 1659, he was sent under Maʼzum Khán, commander-in-chief, and Prince Muhammad Sultán to the province of Bengal. In the 4th year (25th Jan. 1661-14th Jan. 1662), he took part in the campaign in Koch Bihár and Assam. In the 5th year (15th Jan. 1662—4th Jan. 1663), he was made faujdár of Sarkár Kámrup.* For a short time he was Subahdár of Orissa. In the 19th year (13th Aug. 1675—1st Aug. 1676), he was removed from Orissa and re-posted to the Dakhin. He acted as faujdár of Nánder for a time. In the 28th year (1684-5) he received a khilat. He was alive in 1097 H. (1686) in 'Alamgir's 29th year and still jágirdár of parganah Shamshábád, as is shown by the inscription from Saráe Aghat in parganah 'Azimnagar, formerly called Tappah 'Azimnagar, a modern off-shoot from Shamshábád.‡

Hádi Dád Khán, brother of Rashid Khán, was in the beginning of Shahjahan's reign a commander of seven hundred. In the 11th year (18th Oct. 1637—7th Oct. 1638), he was made a Hazári. In the 22nd year (20th June 1648-9th June 1649), he was appointed to the Subah of Talingána in succession to his deceased brother Rashid Khán, with a rise in rank. In the 24th year (29th May 1651-18th May 1652). he was given the title of Khán to be affixed to his own name with the rank of 2,500. He died in the 30th year (24th March 1656-13th March 1657). He left a number of sons, many of whom attained to mansabs.

Another distinguished member of the family was Shekh Nurullah, son of Kádirdád Khán, son of Muhammad Zamán, son-in-law of Ahdád, the nephew of Allahdád Rashid Khán. In the time of Alamgir he was a commander of 400, and had charge of one of the forts in the Dakhin. During the reign of Bahadur Sháh (1707-1712) he was made a Hazári with his father's title of Kádirdád Khán. He was appointed faujdár of Jamand (?) in the Subah of Khándesh. In Farrukhsiyar's reign (1713-1719) he joined Asaf Jáh Nizám-ul-Mulk, who had been appointed Subahdár of the Dakhin. Núrullah was closely related to Asaf Jáh's mother. He fought bravely in the campaign against Sayyad Diláwar 'Ali Khán and 'Alam 'Ali

*Námrúp in the MS. of Maasir-ul-Umrá and Tazkira-ul-Umrá. † Ma'asir-i-'Alamgiri, p. 249.

Gaz. N. W. P. IV. 197, and Proc. B. A. S., for 1874, p. 104.

[ocr errors]

Khán, after which he was rewarded with the rank of Three Thousand, 2000 horse, and the title of Bahadur. In the attack on Mubáriz Khán he commanded the van. When Asaf Jáh had overcome all opposition he obtained for Kádirdád Khán the rank of Panj Hazári, 4000 horse. Kádirdád was assassinated by one of his own servants. As he left no issue, Asaf Jáh out of his jágirs granted to his relations the town of Jániganw (?) in the Subah of Aurangábád and the village of Ambárah in Subah Khándesh. These were still in possession of the family when the "Maasir-ul-Umrá” was written.

The Mau tradition alleges that Shamshábád was granted to Mirzáe Khán, while Rashíd Khán and Hadidád Khán received appointments in the Dakhin. At first the Nawáb lived in Shamshábád close to the tomb of Pír Azíz-ullah, and Mau was not founded for two years. The Nawáb's troops who took up their residence in Mau are said to have been 900 Toyah horsemen, Muhammadzai, 600, Warakzai, 500, Dilázák, 400, Ghilzai, 400, Khalíl, 400, Khaṭak, 400, Mataníya, 300, Loháni, 200, Afrídí 200, Bangash, 100, in all, including other tribes, about 15,000 fighting men. Oral tradition asserts that the settlement of Mau was opposed by the Ráthor chiefs of Rámpúr* and Khemsipúr.† The Muhammadans under 'Abd-us-Samad, alias Mirzá Khán, Muhammadzai, Dáud Khán, Yár Khán, Burhán Khán, Toyah, and Mír Khán, Khaṭak, gained a signal victory near Khemsipur. The Rájah of Rámpúr was wounded and taken prisoner.

Nawab Rashid Khán's tomb, a plain but substantial domed edifice without any inscription, stands on the high land above the Burh-Ganga or old bed of the Ganges. It was repaired by a former Collector, Mr. Newnham, in 1826. At its side, surrounded by a wall, is the masonry tomb of the Nawab's wife. The tombs are surrounded by ancient ásupalú and ním trees. The attendant in charge is an old Khánzádah woman.

At Masíta Khán Khánzádah's chaupál, there lies a flat stone weighing some ten maunds which the popular voice, with, as my informant truly says, some exaggeration, declares was carried every day by the Nawáb to the Ganges to stand on while bathing. The site of the Nawáb's fort is styled the kot, Kachis and some Khánzádahs occupy it, two high gates still stand, and there is some brick pavement left. Part of the land is still called Muhalla Gau-khána, and a little of the so-called Bara Bázar still exists; in it is a mosque known as the Jáma' Masjid, without any inscription, which was repaired two years ago by Nizám 'Ali Khán Mataniya of Muhalla Kila', an employé of the Haidarábád State. In Khánpur, close to Shamshábád, there is a Bárahdari built by Mirzá Khán, cousin of the Nawáb, and

* In parganah Azimnagar of the Eta district. Gaz. IV. 180.
† Seventeen miles from Farrukhábád on the Mainpuri road.
‡ Káli Ráe, p. 114.


at Mau there is a Muhalla called after him "Kot Mirzá Kháni.” Hádi Dád Khán's tomb is at Nánder on the Godáveri where he died, but there is a village in pargana Shamshábád called after him Hádidádpúr. Bibi Raba'h, wife of Ilhámullah Khán, son of Rashíd Khán, built a sarάe and well with stairs in Mauza Kuberpúr, south of Mau and east of Káimganj; the Afridis knocked the sarάe down and used the bricks, the Báoli is still there half in ruins. The place near it is called "Saráe Bíbí Raba'h" to this day. A separate village, formerly called Sayyad Firúzpur, lying between Mau and Chak Mau-Rashídá bád, is known as "Katra Rahmat Khán" (marketplace of R. K.) after a great-grandson of Mirzá Khán. His tomb is in Mauza 'Ataipur, east of Mau, a village formerly called Baripur but now named after a Nawáb ’Atai Khán. Subhán Khán, another chief, resettled Mauza Bhartpur just south of Káimganj, and called it after himself Suhbánpúr. In the lands of Hamirpur, the next village west of Mau, is a shrine dedicated to Pír Roshán, the ancestor of the Khánzádahs. The Putwari who pointed it out to me gave the correct pronunciation, with the long á in the name "Roshán."


Mau Rashídábád remained a jágir of the descendants of Rashíd Khán till it was resumed by Nawáb Muzaffar Jang (1771-1796). All they now have is a few revenue-free plots, and one of them is glad to be a Head Constable on Rs. 10 a month.

[ocr errors]

Note B.


There are two origins assigned for the name Bamtela. The first is, that a Thákur chief when bathing in the Ganges made as was usual a gift of his wife to the officiating Bráhmans, and then purchased her back by a large gift of money. One of the conditions imposed by the Bráhmans was, that her issue should be called Bamtela. The other story is, that this Rájah having seized a Bráhman woman and made her his concubine, her children by him were called Bamţelas.

She had three sons (1) Háthi Ráe, whose descendants lived in Bhaopur, Jasmai, Núrpúr, Dháranagar, Sáthanpúr; (2) Nibal Deo, whose descendants held Dhaláwal, Ghárampur, Garhya; (3) Sab Sukh. This Sab Sukh had three sons (1) Bhart Sáb, whose descendants lived in Háthipur, Awájpur, Na’matpur and Baraun (8 Bíswahs); (2) Nandan Sáh, whose family held Adúli and Rashidpur; (3) Chattar Singh, whose family held Baraun (12 Biswahs) and Bábarpur. The founders of these families are said to have lived fourteen or fifteen generations ago, but the Awájpur zamindars, when enquiry was made by the Settlement Officer, could not carry back their genealogy more than six generations.

[ocr errors]

The Bamṭelas are not found outside pargana Pabára, and there they are usually divided into the Eight villages and the Fifty-two villages. In the former, which lie west of the city, they are still prominent, especially in Baraun. In nearly every one of the eight villages they still hold the zamindári. Some of them are Musalmáns. In only thirteen of the fiftytwo villages can any trace of them be found, many of the villages have been absorbed into the City, and in the others their position is insignificant.

Note C.


I am indebted to the kindness of Alan Cadell, Esq., C. S., Settlement Officer of Banda, for a memorandum on Dalel Khán by Pandit Mathura Parshád, Settlement Munsarim, founded on oral traditions derived from an old man Rúp Bráhman, and other inhabitants of pargana Maudha. Dalel Khán is called the son of Muhammad Khán Bangash. He was given, they say, by his father to Rájah Chattarsál who adopted him, and when he grew up endowed him with the pargana of Sondha (or Sihonda). Dalel Khán appointed his nephew, Murád Khán, to be thánadar of Sihonda. After a time Harde Sáh, son of Chattarsál, angered Dalel Khán by some deceit he practised, and Dalel Khán prepared for war. The Hindu Rájahs were also afraid that Dalel Khán would in time oust them, for Chattarsál had nursed him to be like a snake in their sleeves. They therefore entered into a league to destroy him, binding themselves by an oath, according to the Shastras, or Ganges water, holding a sword in one hand. Then all the Rájahs marched from Panná, Datiya, and Chirkhári, and assembled at Bándá. Dalel Khán was told that twenty-two Rájahs and thirty chiefs had come with intent to kill him.

Dalel Khán marched from Sihonda and on his way hunted in the forest of Mungas, 14 miles N. E. of Banda. Thence he went by way of Pipronda, about 7 miles west of Mungas, to Alona about six miles northwest of Pipronda, where he encamped on the banks of the river Ken.

The Bundelas advanced to Maudha, about thirteen miles west of Aloná, to Makaránw, Achrela, Bharela, Tandohi, Ingoṭha, Pipronda, all villages three or four miles to the north-west of Maudha. Jagat Ráj's camp was in Makaránw, while Kírat Ráj went to a distance, to the village of Pothya Buzarg on the Betwá, about sixteen miles north of Maudha in pargana Sumerpur, Hamirpur district. When Kírat Ráj left his camp followers behind, the village which sprung up was named Kiratpur.

One day while out hunting Dalel Khán went from Aloná to Bhulsi, two or three miles off, across the Ken, and thence to Padhori seven miles further on and only four miles east of Maudha. The Musalmáns of Maudha remonstrated with him on his rashness, and advised him to take shelter

« السابقةمتابعة »